[pure-silver] Re: Bokeh - no longer relevant? (some fun stuff for Friday)

  • From: Fred Rosenberg <fdr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2013 12:01:11 -0800

"how appealing stuff out of focus is" is a tough one to win in a rational debate. Subjective is subjective, no problem there, it's just that subjectivity changes with time and experience. From what I remember, Mike Johnston coined the term relatively recently. Till then it was a feeling photographers had for their lenses/photographs. Now it's what what Superior photographers add to the list of essentials: sharpness, tonality, etc. and Good bokeh. That's all right by me, but irrelevant to feeling I'm looking for in photographs.

Sons are born to deprecate; we have to destroy the old to start the new. . . till we find out there just is.

Fred

On 18/01/2013 10:27 AM, Dana Myers wrote:
On 1/18/2013 9:27 AM, Fred Rosenberg wrote:
What's the problem? Sounds like two reasonably presented points of view on the same subject. Is there suppose to be a winner?

Clearly, I think so :-)

"Bokeh" is a specific term with a well-established meaning, it's part of the photographic vocabulary that adds value. "Son" here seems intent on deprecating
the term based on a misunderstanding of what it actually means.

At this point, I might start going-on about decline of society, fluoridation
of drinking water, and purity of essence... so I'll just stop :-)

Dana