[pure-silver] Re: Ansco 120 shelf life?

  • From: "J.R. Stewart" <jrstewart@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 22:18:44 -0500

I use A120 as a standard developer, Philippe.

It's pretty stable. In the tray covered with Saran (or similar) wrap allowed to sit right on the surface of the liquid, it will literally last a few weeks depending on frequency of use. It turns brown when it oxidizes, so you know when to throw it out.

I routinely keep my chemicals in clean wine bottles stoppered with the vacuum pump type apparatus (get it at a kitchen or wine shop). You extract all the air from the headspace so the developer is under vacuum. Under these conditions, A120 or any other developer I've used lasts literally several months to more than a year. No kidding. I see minor sedimenting but it's not catastrophic. I think I paid $20USD for the pump and about 12 stoppers.

The only thing you have to watch with A120 is that it doesn't seem to have the same capacity as Ansco 130. So it may or may not last through a complete print session. But it's pretty obvious when exhaustion overtakes the developer, isn't it?

Regards,
JR Stewart
Leesburg, VA
----- Original Message ----- From: "Philippe Gauthier" <pgauth@xxxxxxx>