[pure-silver] Re: 3x4 Speed Graphic with Magnigier in Back Cover

  • From: `Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2020 21:39:32 -0700

   Somebody's hack. The lens was probably original. 135mm and later 127mm lenses were often used on 4x5 cameras for a slightly wide angle coverage for press work. Normal would be 150mm. I don't quite understand the reason for the magnifier since I prefer to be able to move a magnifier around.
   The funny frame on the front is for a flash solenoid. The solenoids were too large to close the front of the camera over so were made removable. I am drawing a blank on the name of the synchronizer that fits it. The frame around the rangefinder was a standard at the time for Sol or Heiland Research flash guns. Its possible the solenoid was also made by Sol or HR (same company).
   3-1/4 x 4-1/4 is an absolutely orphan size. Graflex promoted the size to replace 4x5 for years but it was never successful. It can lead to confusion in identifying cameras because there are some differences in the two. For instance, you will notice the front on this camera has two sliding locks for the lensboard, both top and bottom where on the 4x5 only the top slides. On the later Pacemaker the location of the body release is a clue, appearing closer to the bottom corner of the camera than on the 4x5. There are also differences in the Graflex cameras that can lead one to wonder what they are looking at.
   3x4 film holders are quite rare, I notice he is including a couple with the camera. Film can still be gotten but is much more difficult to find than 4x5 or 2x3 or even 5x7. 5x7 should be an orphan size but people love it so it won't die and you can still get film for them although holders are hard to come by.
   I have two 4x5 Anniversary series Speed Graphics, a very early one with some differences from the later ones such as a box of the same dimensions as the earlier side handle SG (often called a pre-Anniversary) and a later one, evidently one of the last (has a chromed speed chart) refitted with a Graflok back. Heavy but a very good camera.
   You can probably tell I am a Speed Graphic fan.

On 7/28/2020 9:04 PM, Richard Lahrson wrote:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Graflex-Speed-Graphic-3X4-with-Carl-Zeiss-Jena-13-5cm-f4-5-Tessar-Anniversary/274253114539?hash=item3fdac26cab:g:vAcAAOSw8S9ePJ1r <https://www.ebay.com/itm/Graflex-Speed-Graphic-3X4-with-Carl-Zeiss-Jena-13-5cm-f4-5-Tessar-Anniversary/274253114539?hash=item3fdac26cab:g:vAcAAOSw8S9ePJ1r>

Was this a custom job?

--
Richard Knoppow
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx