RE: PTR1/2

  • From: "Cuthbertson, Jamie" <Jamie.Cuthbertson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ptr1-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2005 11:30:58 -0000

Pele,

The first thing that I would say here is that you are probably better to wait
until the PTR2 units are available as they incorporate a number of features
that are an improvement on the PTR1.  I don't know what the price difference
(if any) there will be between the two units, but I wouldn't expect it to be
great.

Regarding the quality of recording, both PTR1 and PTR2 will certainly give you
good quality recordings when connected to tape players through a suitable audio
cable - it is best to connect from the headphone socket on the tape player to
the Line in socket on the PTR1 or PTR2.  The biggest source of problem is
likely to be the quality of the tape recording.

Yes, you can copy music from a CD to the compact flash card.  PTR2 recognises 4
copyright states i.e. Master, Copy, DAISY and No Copyright.  When you copy from
a music CD to the flash card, the status of the music on the card becomes
"Copy".  If you then try to backup this to another CD, the CD will take the
status of "Copy" and the original on the flash card will be deleted.
Essentially you can only have one legal copy of a music CD and the PTR2 works
within this restriction.

Yes, both the PTR1 and PTR2 can be easily connected to a PC using a USB cable.
The main improvement with the PTR2, in this regard, is that you can access both
the CD drive and the compact flash card direct from the PC whereas on the PTR1
you can only access the CD drive from the PC.  I should also point out here
that, in order to access the different drives on the PTR2, a re-boot of the
PTR2 is required when switching from one to the other.

Regarding the files and folder structure, this kind of depends on what format
of information you have.  The PTR2 recognises 3 types of CD i.e. Music CD,
Audio File CD and DAISY CD.  Each of these formats have specifics about the way
the data is stored.  If you create an Audio File CD on your computer and have
folders and files the PTR2 should cope with this.  There are limits to the
number of folders and files and to the number of levels in the structure but
generally it works well.  You can also include play list files in folders if
you want to control the order in which the PTR2 plays the files.

In terms of editing a recording, generally the answer is "Yes".

In terms of irritating beeps, I suppose that depends on what you find
irritating.  I certainly don't like the music that is played when you turn on
one of the PTN1 players, however, I don't mind hearing a beep each time I press
a key as I find that this confirms that I've pressed the key firmly enough.
Both the PTR1 and PTR2 have an option to customise the waiting sound that is
heard when certain operations are taking place e.g. finalising of a CD.  You
can also reduce the amount of verbiage during recording by selecting a relevant
setting.  I don't think it is possible to completely turn off the internal
speech unless you turn down the guide volume to zero.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Jamie