[pskmail] Re: BBS and pskmail

  • From: Rick W <mrfarm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2009 18:47:54 -0500

The SSID has helped a lot. I had misunderstood that you should use lower case for client stations and upper case for server stations, so I changed kv9u to KV9U and KV9U to KV9U-3 at this time.

For packet, I was thinking more along the lines of local use ... or actually not using it. The infrastructure (networks) we used to have are all gone now as are a number of the bbs sysops. One thing that I found was that at least in our area, the sysops did not like to share information. In fact, one actually resented anyone knowing what frequencies the node stacks were on for the 9k6 links.

I consider packet to be close to useless on HF and of very limited use now on VHF. And we have much better protocols as Skip, KH6TY has found work well for weak signal even on FM VHF. Maybe they are too slow though for message systems?

When you send a message, and it can not be delivered, using the Windows JavaPSKmail client, I have not been able to clear this out on the client side, unless I completely delete all outgoing messages from the pskmail program. I can not find any files that store individual messages. Is there some way to to this and also, when you get an incoming message, is it stored in a file somewhere? I have not found anything in the Vista re-directed folders either.

Finally, when I try and send traffic to myself to hold on the server, such as KV9U@KV9U-3, it seems to be sent OK. But how do I get it back if I want to read it again? I have not been able to figure that out.

73,

Rick, KV9U

Rein Couperus wrote:
comments below...