[pskmail] Re: BBS and pskmail

  • From: Rick W <mrfarm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 07 Jun 2009 14:27:24 -0500

It is probably beyond my abilities, but maybe I can eventually try to do something along the lines you suggest.

The other suggestion was to use PSKmail as a rudimentary BBS by sending mail to the server. I probably do not have this set up correctly and maybe someone can give the exact specific parameters you would need to make this work. I tried sending to my pskmail_server with a message to kv9u@KV9U. It accepted the mail but I have not been able to retrieve it.

Do you need to update different parameters to the server or can you use your regular e-mail information?

The one thing I am keeping away from is anything related to packet since it no longer really exists in our region anymore except for APRS. And packet requires a fairly good signal to get it to work. If packet had weak signal capabilities probably some of us would use it instead of these alternative systems when using VHF.

73,

Rick, KV9U

Rein Couperus wrote:
A simple answer:

There is plenty of code for separate BBS'es available, it is just a matter of installing it in the right way. A good example is XNet, we have such a combination on DA5UWG which has a Telnet port. I allows a telnet connect to any BBS on the IGate backbone. Come to think of it, a lot of BBS resources are just available as we speak. Use them!

If we would integrate such a BBS in the pskmail server I would have to write
new code,
 and I have other priorities. I hate reinventing the wheel.

The command is ~TELNET address port (while connected).

If you are interested to add a pskmail/packet gateway, Arno DF3DS (sysop of DA5UWG) has written a drat howto.