[projectaon]

  • From: "OToole L" <L.OToole@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 03:50:25 +0100

Kayvohn wrote:

>During the siege of Ruanon I ended up fighting a single round of combat
>with a charging bandit horseman (Paragraph 333).  My combat skill was
so
>high from having the Somerswerd, weaponskill, a shield, and the silver
>helm from the Caverns of Kalte, that in that single round of combat, I
>reduced him from 28 endurance to 8.
This also begs the question of what to do if you score an automatic
kill. This would seem to suggest that combat to get the enemy off the
horse and combat to kill him are two separate things. (Maybe that 28 is
more a measure of his staying-on-his-horseness!?)

I can't work out that 20 Endurance points loss though. The highest in
the CRT is 18. Can someone remind me of whatever rule it is that I'm
forgetting?

>He fell off his horse and I elected to continue fighting him (Paragraph
>90) except now his combat skill was 17, and his endurance was 24.
...and he's changed from being a "Vassagonian Horseman" to a "Bandit
Horseman".

>This left me wondering whether I should manually lower his endurance to
>take account of the grevious wound I'd already inflicted on him, or if
>Joe Dever was overriding the normal combat rules and saying that in the
>first round of combat, I'd only inflicted a 4 endurance point wound.
I would think that the grievous wound is more likely inflicted on his
horse, and that is why he fights you on the ground. (Not explicitly
stated in the text, but not explicitly refuted either.) One of the first
goals in mounted combat is to unhorse your opponent.

Is it possible that the 'Endurance 28' is there because it would look
silly to just have a Combat Skill on its own? Or could it be so you
don't know what's coming next?

Cerulean