[project1dev] Re: Character

  • From: eric drewes <figarus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: project1dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 09:02:51 -0400

im currently @ work right not but have a couple quick questions and
thoughts...

QUESTIONS:
how would you say his power has influenced his personality? it seems to me
that someone whose positive outlook on things can affect the world around
him and inspire others can also negatively affect the world if he is sad or
disapointed.  Is that what you had in mind, especially in regards to this
"The events around him constantly affect his confidence because bad things
are happening to him" ?

also, i can see how living a charmed life due to the positive reaction other
people have when they are around him (as well as events going his way) would
lead to him being arrogant, but what made him distant to protect himself and
humble amongst more knowledgable people?  Has he learned humility through a
horrible event where maybe his ego lead him astray?

What setting do you envision this character originating from? Did you have a
story idea in mind?

THOUGHTS:
I can see your idea of "creation energy" being a more passive ability,
things would "go his way" and also go the way of the group around him, with
the more willpower he has strengthening this ability.  I am a huge believer
that being positive has a powerful influence on the way a person handles
problems, and arises to challenges, and it would be really awesome if we
could express this sort of thing statistically in the game with a momentum
system (think about in basketball when a player is "on fire" and hits every
shot they put up) where when they are "on" they would pretty much dominate.

Another thing I am a big believer in is team chemistry, where the sum
becomes more than the parts -- other games have systems built in like this
(gemstone, diablo 2) with "auras" that give boosts to other characters in
the party.  Sometimes these are magic based (in gemstone, they are warcries
where the warrior inspires those around him) but not always.  I actually
think its possible the "creation energy" is something real that we can feel
in real life, so maybe this isn't something supernatural but just part of
the human spirit and what makes being alive so beautiful.  I definitely
think we should have a system where certain combinations of characters
creates a special synergy (like say, two swordsmen have a special bond and
it makes them both better when they fight together) as well as characters
that inspire the group on their own (through great leadership or positive
influence - of which your character would be the poster child).  I know
suikoden has a system like that sort of where certain combinations of
characters get special attacks, etc.

Like I stated in the beginning, I think team chemistry is vital - in
anything you do.  The right amount of good people together that have faith
in their cause can rise above what they can do individually.  This is
"magic" but not in the conventional fantasy sense - its REAL magic and
creates REAL magical experiences - victories against the odds, causes good
things to happen when things are the darkest, etc.  This is a system i'd
love to put in and would probably tie directly in with this character... Is
this in line w/ what you are thinking his abilties would be?