Re: suspicious little link...

  • From: "qubit" <lauraeaves@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2010 21:56:19 -0500

Tyler --
Thanks for the little bit of research.
I still don't like a link with no text... but there is one thing I need to
say yet again for the dozenth time -- the folder options view settings don't
unhide all file types. There are many system specific ones, like .pif, .lnk,
and some others, that are still hidden.  Not knowing this caused me a big
headache the first time my machine got infected with a virus.  I infected it
by opening a file called fun.mp3.  It's real name was fun.mp3.pif and it was
a little piece of software that took me a week and some sighted assistance
to remove.
If you go to the registry and search for all lines containing the word
NEVERSHOWEXT and delete those lines and save the registry, you will suddenly
see all kinds of stuff that you probably didn't notice before. Now this is
on XP. My win7 machine is newer and I haven't done the "surgery" on it as
yet. I'm going to see if I can get along without it. But the point is,
folder options are not enough.
Happy hacking.
--le