quick mysql question

  • From: Alex Hall <mehgcap@xxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2009 20:05:51 -0400

Hi all,
If I have a table of records and one column is an autoincrement, what happens when I delete a record? I want to use the autoincrement as an index, so records 1, 2, 3, and 4 exist where 1-4 are the indexes of the records, If you delete record 3, do you then have records 1, 2, and 3, or 1, 2, and 4? If it is the second case, is there a better way to have an index of each record? I need to know how many recordsI am using on a page (it is sort of a photo viewer so I need to know which pictures are being shown and how many more there are) and how many total there are to go. Thanks.

Have a great day,
Alex