RE: quick mysql question

  • From: Alex Hall <mehgcap@xxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2009 11:00:10 -0400

Okay. One lastthing: the skip is always from the start of the matched rows, right?

Have a great day,
Alex

From: "Holdsworth, Lynn" <Lynn.Holdsworth@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date sent: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 15:09:59 +0100

Hi Alex,

Remember that the skip argument has a zero index, so Niran's
example
would actually skip 10 records and bring back from the 11th row
onwards.

Cheers, Lynn

From: "Holdsworth, Lynn" <Lynn.Holdsworth@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date sent: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 13:04:14 +0100

Hi Alex,

I don't think you need row numbers to accomplish paging.

I've written some PHP code below, which you'll need to tweak a
bit.

If you can put the page number in the querystring:-

http://www.something.com/somepage.php?page=3

Then you can tweak the SQL statement with a limit clause:-

<?php
Extract($_GET); //exposes variables from the querystring
$recordsPerPage = 5; //Number of records on each page

//If page number not set, then set it to 1 If (!$page) { $page =
1; }

//Calculate the first record you want to retrieve on this page
//Index is zero-based $firstRecord = $recordsPerPage *
($page-1);

//Now build the SQL query with the limit clause $query = "select
<fieldNames From <tableName Where <whereClause Limit
$firstRecord,
$recordsPerPage"; ....
?

Let us know if this works for you.

Cheers, Lynn

Lynn Holdsworth
Web Analyst/Programmer - www.rnib.org.uk

From: "Octavian Rasnita" <orasnita@xxxxxxxxx
To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date sent: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 08:28:16 +0300

The indexes in a table are used for creating relations with the
records from
other tables, and it would be a total mess if those indexes
would
change.

If you need to find how many records there are in a table, you
can simply
count them using:

select count(*) from table_name;

Or you can put some conditions like:

select count(*) from table_name where column1=123 and
another_column="abc"
and another_one like '%bla%';

--
Octavian

From: "R.  Haynie" <rhaynie@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Date sent: Tue, 07 Apr 2009
22:51:24 -0400

An example is worth a thousand words...

create table tbl1 (fld1 INTEGER AUTO_INCREMENT,
fld2 char(3),
PRIMARY KEY  (fld1));

insert into tbl1 (fld2) values ('abc'), ('def'), ('ghi'),
('jkl');
select * from tbl1;
-- gives you:
1, 'abc'
2, 'def'
3, 'ghi'
4, 'jkl'

delete from tbl1 where fld1 in (2, 4); insert into tbl1 (fld2)
values ('mno'); select * from tbl1;
-- gives you:
1, 'abc'
3, 'ghi'
5, 'mno'

HTH.
-Rodney

Alex Hall wrote:
Hi all,
If I have a table of records and one column is an autoincrement,
what
happens when I delete a record? I want to use the autoincrement
as an
index, so records 1, 2, 3, and 4 exist where 1-4 are the indexes
of
the records, If you delete record 3, do you then have records 1,
2,
and 3, or 1, 2, and 4? If it is the second case, is there a
better way
to have an index of each record? I need to know how many
recordsI am
using on a page (it is sort of a photo viewer so I need to know
which
pictures are being shown and how many more there are) and how
many
total there are to go.  Thanks.

Have a great day,
Alex

DISCLAIMER:

NOTICE: The information contained in this email and any
attachments is
recipient you should not use, disclose, distribute or copy any
of
the
content of it or of any attachment; you are requested to notify
the
sender immediately of your receipt of the email and then to
delete it
and any attachments from your system.

RNIB endeavours to ensure that emails and any attachments
generated by
its staff are free from viruses or other contaminants.  However,
it
cannot accept any responsibility for any  such which are
transmitted.

Please note that the statements and views expressed in this
email
and
any attachments are those of the author and do not necessarily
represent
those of RNIB.

RNIB Registered Charity Number: 226227

Website: http://www.rnib.org.uk

This message has been scanned for viruses by Websense Hosted
Security -