Re: in the market for a new laptop:suggetsions?

  • From: "tribble" <lauraeaves@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 15:07:47 -0600

your mail prompts me to ask a question that I was going to post on another
list.
I have an old braille embosser that can use COM for parallel but not USB.  I
bought a USB to parallel adaptor so I could use it on my Lenovo laptop, but
when I go into the device manager to find the appropriate lpt port to
specify to the embosser software, there is none there, even though I
installed all the drivers and rebooted, etc.
Does this mean that my old embosser is unusable without an old motherboard
with serial and/or parallel ports?
I hope not. it's a good embosser and the old parts are rapidly becoming a
thing of the past.
Comments welcome.
--le