Re: Vinux 3.0 released!

  • From: Bill Cox <waywardgeek@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 09:24:51 -0400

Emacs is more like a whole desktop environment than an editor, and
it's configurability is amazing.  In the late '90s, I had to program
by voice, using Naturally Speaking.  The only way I could find to be
productive was to write emacs macros to help me write code and do
various tasks.  Even today, without emacs, speech-recognition users
basically can't be productive programmers.  By the time my hands had
healed enough to resume typing, I had written 1,600 custom Naturally
Speaking commands, most of which drove custom emacs-lisp macros.

I think Jamal probably has a similar story, but for blindness rather
than an inability to type, but he wrote his environment in a way that
it is very useful to other blind users.  I'm not an emacspeak user,
but here's an example I imagine is highly doable in emacspeak.  Bash
commands tend to spew insane amounts of nearly useless information at
us, making bash a real pain to use with speakup or Orca.  What I
really want is something that watches the line updates, and just reads
the first word or two before moving on, unless I pause it and ask for
more detail.  I also want to be able to silence speech until a command
is done, and then I want the last line or two of output read to me.
However, if an error or warning occurs, I want that read right when it
is displayed, and I want it read in a high pitch voice.  All of this
is doable in emacspeak, because manipulating text in buffers is the
central ability of emacs.  I know of no similar capability anywhere.

My vision is still pretty good, so all I require is a little
magnification, and it's nice to have text read to me at high speed.
As my vision fades, I do expect to rely more on emacspeak.

Bill