Re: Vinux 3.0 released!

  • From: Bill Cox <waywardgeek@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 09:35:35 -0400

Hi, Jamal.  My concern with Mono is that Microsoft may be plotting to
get the Linux community to depend on it, so they can then assert their
patents against Linux users.  The Free Software Foundation discourages
using Mono.  If Microsoft could give us proper legal assurances that
no Mono users will ever be targeted for patent violations related to
Mono and the various systems like UIA that they offer the Linux
community through Mono, then the Free Software Foundation could
support it, and so would I.  Until then, we need to remember
Microsoft's split-personality.  They are wonderful supporters of
accessibility, and generously care about people with disabilities.  On
the other hand, they hold no punches in maintaining their dominance in
the software world.

Bill