RE: Papers on Speaking Math to the visually impaired

  • From: "Chris Hofstader" <cdh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 16:00:20 -0400

Make sure you read Raman's work on Aster (which he may spell differently).
We have a project doing just this at CUNY Research Foundation and have a
bunch of source code and such that we can probably share with you.  You
should also write to John Gardner (he's president or CEO or something like
that of ViewPlus) as he's done a lot of study in this area.  There's a
Professor Moore in the mathematics department at U. Florida who is a good
contact on this issue.  Finally, old Abe N. did an article on speaking math
(rather than using his Braille math).  I think Abe's speech article
describes a system far too verbose to be practical within the constraints of
short term human memory and attention but there are some good ideas and he's
certainly spent more time thinking about math and people with vision
impairment than anyone else.

cdh

Chris Hofstader
CUNY, BSO, ATG, Odds and Ends