Re: Papers on Speaking Math to the visually impaired

  • From: "black ares" <matematicianu2003@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 22:41:24 +0300

as far as I know
there is a plugin for jaws and internet explorer named mathplayer.
This mathplayer knows how to read mathml.
Also the new office 2007 knows how to save in mathml or in xml and with a
associated xsl to transform that in mathml.

I've saw an example some time ago, but not researched more because for me is
still a problem to get sources of math documentation in a word accesible format.
I don't know how transforms office 2007 documents written in office 2003.

Another way to go is the latex language.
In my universitary studies in math and computers
I readed a lot of material in latex source.
More than that there is a math ocr named infty reader who reads tif images and
can make
html, mathml, hrtex, latex from that tif images.
I used it to get out the latex sources from some pdfs.

Also a third way to go is a screen reader for math like wintriangle.

But with all this ways there is not at this moment a confortable way to read
math with a screen reader as simply as reading literature.