Re: Papers on Speaking Math to the visually impaired

  • From: "Andreas Stefik" <stefika@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 12:01:39 -0700

cdh said:

 Make sure you read Raman's work on Aster (which he may spell differently).
> We have a project doing just this at CUNY Research Foundation and have a
> bunch of source code and such that we can probably share with you.  You
> should also write to John Gardner (he's president or CEO or something like
> that of ViewPlus) as he's done a lot of study in this area.  There's a
> Professor Moore in the mathematics department at U. Florida who is a good
> contact on this issue.  Finally, old Abe N. did an article on speaking math
> (rather than using his Braille math).  I think Abe's speech article
> describes a system far too verbose to be practical within the constraints of
> short term human memory and attention but there are some good ideas and he's
> certainly spent more time thinking about math and people with vision
> impairment than anyone else.

My questions:

1. I've read some of Raman's work in the past, but a quick Google search
didn't come up with his work on reading math. Any idea where this is
published or what the titles of any papers are?

2. Do you have the title or publication info for Abe N.'s paper?

3. A search found *Theral Moore in math at UF, is that who you are thinking
of? Any papers in particular of his I should read?

Thanks all for your responses!

Andreas
*