RE: Concern about the latest Window Eyes scripting move

  • From: "Chris Hofstader" <chris.hofstader@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 06:34:14 -0500

I can but will not demonstrate how to build a JAWS script that will mail you
all of the passwords, logins and email addresses used on a particular
machine using JAWS 3.xx so the hole has been there all the time.  GW has
done the right thing by making itself language agnostic so a non-hacker
blink can now ask a friend who knows virtually any programming language to
bang out a quick script or two to handle some tricky situations with no
greater security gaps than one can create on 90% of computers used by people
with vision impairment today.

A few months ago I wrote a blog article on this very matter - specifically
that all screen readers, scriptable or otherwise, produce a security gap
that none of the vendors have figured out how to close.  I can think of a
few techniques one might use in a screen reader to increase security but not
all of the way to anything remotely solid.

cdh