RE: Concern about the latest Window Eyes scripting move

  • From: "Chris Meredith" <tallin32@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 12:18:55 -0800

If Window-Eyes executes your script in-process, then the script is limited
to those functions Window-Eyes makes the scripting engine aware of, plus the
COM objects that can be accessed by any script running in Windows (Does this
include things like WScript.Shell and WScript.FileSystemObject, does anyone
know?).

As far as whether using standard scripting languages like VBScript or
JScript opens up more paths of attack, all Window-Eyes is doing is opening
*ITS* properties, methods and events to COM clients (so, I suppose, the
potential is there for a Window-Eyes virus that might break your settings,
but negligibly more so, if at all, than a JAWS script written for the same
purpose).  JAWS, you'll note, is also a COM client, so that if it could
create objects such as a FileSystemObject or a WScript.Shell object (which,
I'm thinking, are only creatable within the context of the Windows Script
Host (although I'll have to check some of the code I do testing on to
verify)), one could do just as much damage as one could with a VBScript or
JScript file written for Window-Eyes and executed in-process.