[program-l] Re: using jaws 14 on windows 8 virtual machine

  • From: "Andy B." <sonfire11@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <program-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 10:15:33 -0400

Allow at least 512MB of memory for JAWS to run without a problem. Aside from
that, know that on a standard Windows 7 bare metal install, JAWS 14 seems to
take about 10% of my CPU clock time with a quad core. If you will not be
using a mouse, ask them to disable the virtual mouse because it is
impossible to turn it off using the typical device manager (all the VM will
do is reinstall on every start). I have this problem when using a Windows 7
or 8 VM with a laptop. Another thing to note is that a vm manager such as
VMware player, fusion, or workstation will cover up the true hardware that
is running on the server. For an example, instead of seeing "intel graphics
family HD capable video", I see "VMWare HD video device". When using any
version of Windows in a VM, even if enough resources have been assigned to
it, keep in mind that the response time from JAWS might not be as fast as
you might be used to. This is because, at least on my vm, 3d graphics aren't
supported. In addition, since JAWS relies on the video off screen model to
get its information, it is a little slower than usual because it takes a
little longer to draw advanced graphics and return them to the host display.
Aside from this, a VM is exactly the same as a physical box.

Windows 8 itself isn't much different than Windows 7, but it does have a few
major differences.

1. The start menu is gone. Pressing windows on the keyboard will bring up
the start screen, which from the way it was explained to me, looks almost
like the IPhone 5 home screens.
2. The start screen hosts the metro style apps, which are minified and basic
versions of the desktop versions. For example, the IE 10 metro style app has
the addressbar at the bottom, and lacks most features of the regular version
of IE 10 because the metro app draws its settings from the larger IE 10. You
will have all "desktop" versions of all metro style apps.
3. Charms replace the start button search box. Press windows+c to get to the
charms box. It has a search, devices, settings, and share button.

Check out the FScast to see how Windows 8 works in general. They did pretty
good at explaining it.