[program-l] Re: oracle and blind programmer

  • From: "Wunder, Gary" <WunderG@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <program-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 13:13:13 -0500

I am a programmer and an active member of the NFB. I concur and will do
what I can to raise the visibility of Oracle in our organization, but I
can't let this go by without saying that the NFB and others who press
companies for software we can use are only as strong as blind people and
those they recruit decide we should be. Whether it's finding the
technical people to talk the language of the developers, the legal
people to talk the language of the lawyers and the executives, or the
funds to attend the meetings where the persuasion takes place, none of
this happens without the active and vigorous involvement of blind folks.
In the U.S. these days, we hear a lot about the power of the individual,
and none of us with an ego would argue against the power of choice in
our lives - especially those choices we've made that are right. It's
common to hear what "they," should do and to say "I'm not much of a
joiner," or "I'm not much for that political stuff," but the kind of
change we want requires both individual drive, native intelligence, and
an abundance of energy, as well as the good-sense to join with others
who have the same needs and who have a joint commitment to see that they
are met. I make this point to emphasize that it isn't that we have an
abundance of money, talent and time and all we need do is decide where
to put it. We need more of all of them, and I hope folks who really want
this accessibility as I do will join in an active, organized effort to
get it.

Gary

  -