[program-l] Re: Visual Basic .net: getting XMLWriter not to access the Internet

  • From: "Ian Sharpe" <isforums@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <program-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 09:51:25 +0100

Hi Pranav

I am assuming that you are not interested in the resource that the
XmlTextReader is going to the web to retrieve? Ie. That you are only
interested in the raw XML data? Here are a couple of other suggestions that
may help:

1. It maybe that the XmlTextReader is validating the XML file and in order
to do this, it is looking for the scheme or DTD referrenced in the XML file.
You could try turning validation off for the XmlTextReader.

2. You could also simply remove the reference to the external file from the
XML file before you try reading it.

Obviously you run the risk of handling potentially invalid XML files but I
suspect this won't be important in your scenario. If it is, then you could
always retrieve the external resources with the XML file itself, save them
all locally, and modify the references in the XML to point to the local
copies. Again, if the schema changes, your app may fail, but then this would
be the case if you were reading the validating anyway and would require
changes to your code to allow for any relevant changes anyway.

Cheers
Ian