[program-l] Re: Homer .net with visual basic .net: using some of the folder dialogs

  • From: Jamal Mazrui <empower@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: program-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 13:43:54 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Pranav,
Your questions are helping me know what may need more documentation.  In
this case, I think the information was there.  Here is one
excerpt from the docs:

"By convention, HomerJax variable names use lower case prefixes to
indicate the data type:  s for string, i for integer, n for floating
point number, l for list, d for dictionary, and o for other COM object."

HomerLbc uses the same conventions as HomerJax, so sResult means a string
result.  (the s prefix is a common convention for a string data type, part
of a set of coding conventions called Hungarian notation, which I still
find useful even though it is not Microsoft's convention in .NET
development.)

Regarding Visual BASIC .NET, Homer.NET is intended as a set of .NET
assemblies and tools, so naturally, HomerLbc.dll works with Visual Basic
.NET, as well as any other .NET language.  FruitBasket.vb, compiled to
FruitBasketVb.exe via the batch file CompileFruitBasketVb.bat, illustrates
how Lbc classes may be used from VBNET.  Only a subset of Lbc
functionality is shown, but the techniques would be the same for using any
static method of the Lbc class such as DialogOpenFolder.

I appreciate your interest in this project.

Jamal