[program-java] Re: JDeveloper 11G (download)

  • From: "Octavian Rasnita" <orasnita@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <program-java@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 04:52:30 +0300

I think you misunderstood what I said.

> "But if you work in a team, you need to use what the other programmers > use
> for a certain program."

Wouldn't go that far... half of my team is on J-Builder, of the remaining half about one third is on Eclipse and the remainder is using My Eclipse....

I wasn't referring to Eclipse or JBuilder, but I was comparing SWT and SWING. If a program is made by a team, it will probably use only SWT or only SWING, but not both. It is possible to make a package of programs, and each of them to use a different GUI library, but I think never happends such a thing.

> "SWING is better because it offers more type of controls and it is Java
> based. It doesn't depend on the platform the program runs on."

Java is the language that the Eclipse Community used to create both the Eclipse IDE and the SWT Widgets. Java is the wrapper around the native
widgets and the end result is the SWT library.

Oh yes, but SWING is made entirely in Java, while SWT is only a wrapper in Java to the native libraries, and the most important part of it are exactly those native libraries, not the Java wrapper.

> "Because Java is made by Sun and Sun promotes SWING, SWING is prefered > by > most Java programmers. (Because most of the Java programmers also don't > care
> too much about the accessibility issues in SWING.)."

I think you are missing the point of my previous messages, Eclipse indeed uses SWT and SWT applications can be created from the IDE... However Eclipse is not limited to just SWT... I've created web based apps that communicate from the web interface via Struts, query our main frame via Web Logic servers through a CICS region and all of that is accomplished with out SWT.

So? I didn't say that Eclipse can't be used for creating apps that don't use SWT.
I didn't say anything about Eclipse at all.
I just said that most Java programmers prefer to use SWING and not SWT.

...because Sun promotes Java and SWING is a component of the same really doesn't qualify it as being the preferred GUI interface. I'll grant you that > most of the developers use SWING but numbers alone don't justify it as being preferred. Some one once said "Quantity has a quality of its own... but
quality has a quantity  of its own as well".

Oh yes, then SWING is not prefered at all, but it is used by most Java programmers. Is it better this way? :-)

Octavian