[pls200] [blog] How Notes Are Graded

  • From: Squarespace Services <services@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pls200@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 00:08:27 +0000 (GMT+00:00)

Sean Wilson <whoooo26505@xxxxxxxxx> posted How Notes Are Graded:

 Notes are graded on the following criteria:

 1. Whether you have notes for each and every lecture

 2. Whether they clearly indicate the existence of each lecture. If I have to
read chicken scratch to guess whether a page belongs to one or another lecture,
or to guess whether you have notes for a particular day, points are deducted.
All you have to do to comply is to clearly indicate the beginning of one
session with the ending of the next. An easy way to do this is to draw a line
and indicate the number of the lecture, as in:

 ------------------------------
Lecture 5

3. How thorough the notes are in accounting for the material. This is a
standard and not a rule. As long as the notes are reasonable in thoroughness,
that's all you need. The point is not to ask for shorthand or transcripts. The
point is only to catch people who really aren't paying attention very well or
who are faking it. So long as the notes are reasonable in catching what
transpires in the class, they will be okay.

 If you are "good" on 1-3, you get an A. If you have some issues on 1-3, you'll
be down-graded to B status. If you have major issues on 1-3, you are looking at
a C. If you don't have notes, you get an F. If you have extremely pathetic
notes, you get a D.

 In general, grading notes helps your year-end grades. It almost universally
helps instead of hurts a course grade. It especially helps kids who do poorly
on exams, but who are present and trying. If you are an A student on exams,
however, I won't let B-notes bring your average down. You get an exemption.

 Regards and thanks

 Dr. Sean Wilson, Esq.