[phoenix-project] Re: Fw: Re: contribution to development of phoenix

  • From: Shashidharan Nair <ck.shashidharan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: phoenix-project@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 23:16:43 +0530

Hello Georges! I had seen your name in the credits in the source code
listing! Glad to read your posts!

About myself: This is just to tell you that I am not very experienced with
the Linux environment and how you could perhaps help me.

(pardon me)

1. Took up Assembly Language Programming (ALP) in Z80 and 8085 in Year 1985
2. Moved to ALP in MS DOS, did some measurement and instrumentation
projects till 1990 in ALP
3. Found it difficult to program with windows API (syntax was hard to
remember).
4. Moved to Labview in Y2000 Worked on industrial projects
5.started working with linux from Ubuntu 8.04. Have just begun to
understand the structure of Linux!   *The soft option of using Windows is
still very tempting*
6. Discovered Phoenix and Expeyes recently
7. Just now got the opportunity of coding again in my own lab after a small
gap.
8. I am a physicist by profession and I love visualising physical
phenomenon in in the form of time-plots or X_Y plots.
9. I Love to understand models by coding them and visualising the math in
numerical models
10. So was very eager to interface Expeyes with labview. I know it is not
in keeping with the philosophy of "free as in freedom" but I am doing it
for myself.
11: I love the Union of expeyes hardware (low cost, well thought out) and
the power of Graphics. A prefect blend for my classroom teaching
12. And  in age,  I am in my late 50s.

Now with this rather mixed background, I want to continue making Expeyes
more popular and more widespread, across platforms. Such projects are my
lifeline in the middle of all administrative responsibilities.

If you can give me some more details about the following, I will be happy.

"I wrote a patch which adds internationalisation to Expeyes, and so it is
now
quite easy to localise its GUI for any target language. Maybe this
internationalisation code is already merged into the upstream source."

Does this have any documentation - like help files which gives detailed
description of the functions in running text form? If so, How can I access
it?
I have been reading the Python code along with the comments and trying to
understand it and then convert to labview. If you have put out some generic
functional descriptions, then that is just what I was looking for. I am
rewriting the code itself and not the user language of the GUI.
Regards
shashidharan