[phoenix-project] Re: Fw: Re: contribution to development of phoenix

  • From: Shashidharan Nair <ck.shashidharan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: phoenix-project@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 20:34:23 +0530

For those who wish to get started...

The python code for running the Expeyes kit comes in basically two levels.
They are
Level 1. The Python Library for Expeys
Level 2 . The Graphical User Interface

The Level 1 Python library for expeyes is a lower level code compared to
the GUI. In fact the GUI does the data acquisition and processing using the
level 1 library. All the details are available  at the website. Also do
read the comments in the python code listed there.

Dr Ajith and his team has done a wonderful job in putting out the kit in
commercial form.The Python code is  also commented very carefully. But as
he points out, the code could benefit from some documentation in Plan
English. As one way to do this is, we could sit down to read it line by
line,  decipher and document it.

Otherwise we could start working on writing the C or C++  functions and
document them as we progress through them. I have been working on driving
Expeyes with Labview for a private application. Let me assure you, once you
get the hang of it, the procedure is pretty straight-forward, provided you
respect the object oriented nature of the Python code and your own
programming environment.

I have done the Labview code for detecting the expeyes hardware. It is
basically a serial-port write and read function, but there are some issues
which you need to bear in mind. If anyone wants to begin the C++ code, I
can help by writing out the plain-English  description of each function as
I complete it. This could turn out to be a good online collaboration
effort.

Particularly, if you are new to Python and eager to get your C++ code
working, the Plain English description of each function can be very helpful
because it will save you the effort of deciphering the corresponding Python
code.

Python enthusiasts please pardon me for saying that because I prefer the
"learn as you go"  approach as it gives me the deepest possible
appreciation and understanding of the run-time effects of any code.

To begin, you will need an expeyes kit and the software installed on your
machine which must have a Free USB port. Once the s/w is  installed and the
device plugged in, your Device Manager will show the presence of a new COM
port. Note down its number. This number could change from one session to
another beware!
After this, you are ready to experiment.
Any takers?
Shashidharan