Re: [PCWorks] What's The Big Hurry (Rant)?

  • From: "Clint Hamilton-PCWorks Admin" <PCWorks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 05:14:48 -0500

That's why "extorted" was in quotes........uhhhhh, SHOULD have
been in quotes, LoL.  (It is now).  I couldn't think of what
else to call it; when you go a webpage and are "attacked" by
all these banners b!tching about you having an "outdated
browser", when the only way to remove it is to "succumb to
their demands", or else put up with the complaints.

Someone needs to come up with some kind of a banner blocker
that will also block those.  I have no problem at all with some
simple TEXT saying something like: "Some of our web features
may not be available on older browsers" (which actually should
never be the case anyway), but obnoxious banners, and actually
BLOCKING users of older browsers, is uncalled for.  YouTube WAS
doing this, evidently they caught hell for it, and they finally
did the intelligent thing and automatically direct certain
browser versions to different page versions.

I've been watching a thread on FF4, last I heard they (no
surprise) REMOVED features that were present on 3.5x, and no
doubt none of our extensions will work on it, and there's
probably only a few of them that can be upgraded to work on v4.
They'll never overtake IE until they put a stop to that crap
and make extensions an integrated part of the Mozilla FF
browser or put a stop to the version-proprietary-dependence of
them.  I'm sure extension developers are also fed up with
having to make new versions with each FF release.  It's VERY
simple to make them work with any version, the majority of them
CAN be made to do this with a hack, but it's time-consuming and
should NOT be something the END USER should have to do, that
should be up to Mozilla.

If it can coexist with v3.5x, I'll probably install it just to
see if it's any faster, and more stable.
-Clint

God Bless,
Clint Hamilton, Owner
www.OrpheusComputing.com