Re: [PCWorks] Network Connection in my Syatem Tray

  • From: "Harold B." <harold7@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 13:26:39 -0400

Of course Hugh is right, but my problems are more in my head than in my
computer; if it doesn't have to be there, I have to get it out. I'm using
dial-up right now but in a few weeks I'll be graduating almost to the
internet major leagues, and will be using DSL (that will be "broadband" if
that makes a difference in how to remove this icon). As an aside, Verizon
said I'll no longer need my current RCN dial-up connection (saving $20),
they'll connect me to DSL for the same $20, and I'll be saving approximately
$30 by no longer needing the second phone line that I had installed before
ever knowing about DSL (total savings of $30 a month with a faster
connection). I'm suggesting to the co-op board that my entire two buildings,
around 580 units, that we have to "get with it" and be cable internet
connected; here's hoping.

Note to Peter:When right clicking the icon, there is no Properties line,
again, maybe you are talking about broadband and I'm using dial-up. The
"network cable is unplugged" line (only seen with the mouse hovering over
the icon) seems to be causing no problem; i.e. I have no trouble at all with
accessing and remaining on the internet. Why it is there, I don't know.

Note to Hugh and Clint: When right-clicking it, it offers two options:
"Change Windows Firewall settings" and "Open Network Connections". I see no
"Show Icon when connected" , and "Show limited connectivity". When opening
it (left clicking), it opens to a Network Connections folder which among
other connections, lists my ISP. Now when right-clicking my ISP >
Properties, there I get a check box, "Show icon in notification area when
connected" BUT, that for the actual internet connection icon to show and
only when connected. This Network Connection icon is different. --- Harold