Re: [PCWorks] Maintenance applet in Windows (Compaq)

  • From: "Clint Hamilton-PCWorks Admin" <PCWorks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 07:42:44 -0500

(Now those are two posts that *I* never saw, Ben!  I see in the
archives the first one was posted yesterday).

Harold, "Crapware" is a good analogy.  I can't speak for the
"HP maintenance" tool, but all those other cleaner type
programs really should not be run, UNTIL you have a problem
that can't otherwise be fixed.  (Of course the anti-malware
"cleaners" not withstanding).  As I and many others here have
stated; they can cause more problems than they fix.  Whether or
not the HP Maintenance tool is needed, and can be trusted,
would of course depend on what it does.  I'm doubtful it can
really do anything that's really helpful, plus it's probably
running in the background all time, and with another Service.

Now one tool that I HAVE run, is the ERUNT Registry optimizer
tool, NTREGOPT.  It didn't mess up anything and was able to
compact it and the hives.

(Ah, I see why I never got the posts, Harold put "Ch1na" in it:
"I fly through the internet faster than Phelps flies the length
of the pool in Ch1na".  I have that word filtered due to
rampant spam and cyber-terrorism from that country.  INDEED!  3
golds and 3 world records, amazing.  Yes, I'm also pulling for
Canada, Peter ;-), and our other friends).
-Clint

God Bless
Clint Hamilton, Owner
http://www.OrpheusComputing.com