Re: [PCWorks] Maintenance applet in Windows (Compaq)

  • From: "Harold B." <haroldbraun@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 08:21:02 -0400

Thank you. I got it off the computer with no problem resulting. I never
bothered to look carefully at what updates were offered; all that was
apparent was that I had no need for that "PCTuneUp folder. Computer still
works fine (especially with that DSL).

The only computer maintenance programs I am using these days are (I actually
have a folder in my Start Menu which I call "Computer Care" with these
shortcuts, and all freebies):
In a subfolder I call "system cleaning" ... BeClean, Disk Cleanup, HDValet,
Internet Options, and Space Odyssey
In a subfolder I call "registry cleaning" ...:EasyCleaner, Erunt along with
NtRegOpt, RegCleaner, and RegSeeker
In a subfolder I call "malware cleaning" ... AVG, Ad-aware, CW Shredder,
HijackThis, Spybot, and ZoneAlarm.

I also keep a subfolder called "backup cleaning" where I have shortcuts to
the backup folders and logs for many of the above; They, too, need emptying
out once in awhile (at least, that's what I think)

In addition, in that same "Computer Care" folder I have a subfolder I call
"System Information" where I have shortcuts to Belarc Advisor, PC Doctor,
and a couple of other applets that are ready to tell me more about my
computer than I could ever understand. I could have included Aida32 and
SoftSandra *s* but enough is enough. In the last reformat, I omitted
installing her/them whatever.

So bottom line, I certainly don't need what Hugh so descriptively calls
"crapware" (Crapware, keep away from me).