Re: [PCWorks] How to check actual speed of DSL Line

  • From: "Clint Hamilton-PCWorks Admin" <PCWorks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 04:31:45 -0500

Then you just need to ask them or look at your contract/bill to
find out what your service is.

For me, midnight was a "peak hour".  Like I said, around here
when I was on cable I never got the speeds I should be getting
until about 2:30 or 3AM.

You may not need that fast of a connection, however, if you're
paying for a speed you're not getting you're getting ripped
off.  You may be able to get a slower service, (like their real
service that's SUPPOSED to be around 2mb) for cheaper than what
you're paying.  They may have something like 1.5mb, 3mb, 6mb,
12mb, 15mb, and since you're close to 1.5mb (actually a little
faster), that should be what you're paying for.  But like I
said that can't be what you have because your upload speeds are
the fastest I have ever seen.

I don't even remember where you are located Vern.  If you're
not in the USA, that URL won't be very accurate for you and you
should search for some test sites in your area.  I just tested
mine again at that link and I'm getting HALF of what I was
getting and should be getting, but that's probably due to my
screwed up ISP which does that a lot.  You can try and test
yours here http://www.dslreports.com/stest , but they are VERY
inconsistent.  I just got an insane 13.3mb at the Fort Worth
Flash 8 test.  Usually my results there are about half of what
I should be getting so you can see how they're not very
accurate nor consistent.  I just downloaded something from M$
and I got only about 1.1MB/sec download speeds which is  about
half of what I normally get from them, so that Speakeasy URL is
indeed accurate for me right now.
-Clint

God Bless
Clint Hamilton, Owner