Re: [PCWorks] Free long-term online storage with easy download facilities

  • From: "dgrossman@xxxxxxxxxx" <dgrossman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 09:18:52 -0500

Well, I looked into godaddy and xdrive, as recommended by Hugh and Eric=2E=

Thank you very much for that information, guys=2E It was a big help, and i=
got me started on my search=2E I had no idea how to pursue my plans=2E

Well, on the way, I got quite an education=2E I'd like to share it with yo=
u=2E

Eric had suggested Godaddy, which seems like a good choice=2E They have a
nice plan that offers 5 GB at $3=2E19-3=2E99/month, depending on the lengt=
h of
commitment=2E However, I discovered that there are many other web hosting
sites out there (I did say that I was new at this, didn't I=3F)=2E All of =
them
offer reasonable plans for a one or more gigabytes of storage=2E Are the
other sites substantially different from Godaddy=3F

While I was at it, I checked out Hugh's suggestion of Xdrive=2E It's free,=

and it offers nice storage as well - except for the "minor" message that I=

got when trying to sign up: "We look forward to welcoming you as a future
member of Xdrive, but are unable to complete your order at this time=2E We=

apologize for the inconvenience=2E" I'll try again=2E

However, some Google sidebar ads led me to a LOT of other freebie file
storage locations, including a great link to
http://www=2Efreewebspace=2Enet/guide/diskstorage=2Eshtml =2E That site li=
sts many
other file storage places=2E I was able to sign up for a number of them, a=
nd
they seemed to offer the same thing as Godaddy - but for free=2E I also
didn't have the problem signing up that I had with Xdrive=2E I think the 1=
-2
GB that those places offered will be sufficient=2E

These places are also set up for file storage and downloading by the
public=2E Each file is given a unique URL, and the upload and download
procedure is quite straightforward=2E I'm now thinking of using some of th=
ese
places as my own disaster recovery planning sites=2E

I'm also beginning to feel that there's no reason to spend up to $144 over=

three years for a paid service, when so many freebies are available out
there=2E

More - if I just upload my files to several freebie file storage sites,
then I can sleep well at night=2E Even if one or more of them will change
their terms of service or go belly-up, I'll still have the others=2E Peopl=
will always be able to access my files if I list several alternate servers=

- just like zdnet and cnet do on their sites=2E

It sounds almost too good to be true=2E Am I missing something here=3F

David Grossman

mail2web=2Ecom =96 What can On Demand Business Solutions do for you=3F
http://link=2Email2web=2Ecom/Business/SharePoint