-=PCTechTalk=- Re: stack overflow

  • From: dktrfaustus@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 05 May 2005 00:32:04 +0100

On 4 May 2005 at 16:16, Cris wrote:
> I always got those messages when I had winME -
> among other problems! I was re-booting twice a day to keep
> it running!!
> Cris

Yeah, I used to get a lot of stack overflow errors myself, with
Win9x. Pretty much anything could cause them, typically "big
operations" like games and memory-intensive graphics apps. Microsoft
Word brought up a few, as well, from time-to-time.

Stacks were set pretty low by default on all Windows systems until
XP, and most users had to boost them through config.sys or
system.ini.

But XP/2000 treat memory differently; I don't know if "stacks" even
exist anymore, in the same sense.

Faustus