-=PCTechTalk=- Re: stack overflow

  • From: "Bashful Bob" <Bashfulbob@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 14:15:01 -0500

There were some pretty good answers there.

Stack overflow is also a technique that hackers use to get info from your
machine or access to your machine. They (simplistic) put enough information
in to cause the stack to overflow and they can capture that info or then put
a program in the stack for execution that could give them access to your
machine.

http://www.frsirt.com/english/advisories/2005/0461

http://www.idefense.com/application/poi/display?id=230&type=vulnerabilities&flashstatus=true

http://www.cs.utah.edu/~regehr/stacktool/

But I like the non corrupted reasons best.

An error condition that occurs when there is no room in the stack for a new
item. This error condition can also occur when other things go awry; for
example, a bad expansion board or one that isn't seated properly in the slot
can cause erratic signals eventually leading to a stack overflow error
message.

Faustus
Here is something for you on XP. Hope it helps.

http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/vulnwatch/2004-q3/0007.html

Life is what happens in between plans.

Virus free email by Norton's
This message is intended for the sole use of the individual and/or entity to
confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are
not the addressee, or authorized to receive this on behalf of the addressee,
you are hereby notified that you may not use, copy, disclose, or distribute
to anyone this message or any part thereof. If you have received this in
error, please immediately advise the sender by e-mail and delete this
information. Thank you