-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Virus removal side effects

  • From: dktrfaustus@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 05 May 2005 00:32:04 +0100

On 4 May 2005 at 15:54, Davisunit wrote:
> Of course I misspelled it, it should've been BHOASS, which also
> related to TASKMGRU and MSIMN32, and the lockergnome link was here
> http://help.lockergnome.com/index.php?showtopic=33682&mode=linear
>
> Terry

Yes, thanks for posting the link; it helps a lot in diagnosing your
problem...and satisfies our curiosity.   :)

The only malware I can see in the above is "Trojan.StartPage.[x]".

BHOASS.DLL appears to be a legitimate file, corrupted by something
else. Looks like Trojan.StartPage variants (NOT a virus, btw) like to
create files with almost-identical names to certain critical windows
elements, like the processes for Task Manager, Explorer and
Messenger.

I noticed one other user suffering from a StartPage variant who also
lost their desktop; eventually that person just reformatted:
http://tinyurl.com/a6y8n

You might try the removal tools at Symantec's site, first:
http://tinyurl.com/38ujy

...but if you have accidentally removed a critical file by mistake
(easily done with the similar names the trojan uses), your only
recourse is to reinstall from the CAB files or your recovery disc.

Faustus