-=PCTechTalk=- Re: our cell phones

  • From: "D H (Rick) Holmes" <hayvan@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 08:51:26 +1200

Quite frankly I would not entertain a mobile phone where incoming calls
were a charge against me. If the rental, as DSW points out, includes a
substantial number of "free" minutes, then there is some justification,
but that would be negated if unblockable telemarketing calls were to be
included.

In your case, Ange, going to Guernsey brings you into the coverage of a
different provider, and a surcharge would be justified. I pay (mobile)
45cpm for calls to Vodaphone numbers and $1.39pm for calls to Telecom
numbers. This latter is an example of virtual monopoly fleecing for
which there is no justification. From my landline, 45cpm to either
cellphone company!(but these are through my ISP). Needless to say, my
wife and I only use our cellphones for emergencies or when there is no
alternative. (We're pensioners)
Expensive trip, Ange!!!!

Rick H