-=PCTechTalk=- Re: hardware configuration error on boot

  • From: "recklessmaverick@xxxxxxxxxx" <recklessmaverick@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 00:34:03 -0400

Below the below.

Gman wrote:
> Below
>
> Peace,
> Gman
>

>> Gman,
>> I am beginning to think this may be a controller issue.  I have four
>> SATA connectors on the mobo.  All a different color (are they color
>> coded per industry standard?).  They are arranged like this:
>>
>> XX
>> XX
>>

> No industry standard on color coding here.
That doesn't surprise me.  You didn't comment on my idea it might be a
controller issue.  Does that sound as logical to you as it does to me?

> With SATA drives, there is no such thing as Primary or Secondary.  One SATA
> controller handles each device connected to it separately.  Some boards have
> two controllers (the second often has the ability to serve either in normal
> or RAID configuration).

That doesn't surprise me either.

> Instead, look for actual numbers silkscreened on the mobo to indicate
> position.  They will most likely be labeled 1 to 4, but may also go by A -
> D, 0 - 3 or something in Swahili.  The BIOS wishes to recognize them
> individually in ascending order according to these numbers, although most
> have the means to dictate one as the 'boot' drive over the others,
> regardless of numerical position.

OK.  We're getting somewhere now.  Mine are numbered 1-4 (in English).

>> OK.  I'm back.  The data connectors are numbered and colored as such:
>>
>> 2 white,  1 black
>> 3 blue     4 yellow
>>

> Wow!  That was quick!  I prefer to connect my main boot drive to '1',
> additional drives to '2', '3', etc., and then the optical last to '4' (or to
> a separate controller altogether if one exists on the board).

Not just quick.  But darn good too!  ;-)           If there was a second
controller, there would be a second set of 4 connectors, yes?  When my
new cables get here I will play musical hard drives  and put what will
be the boot drive on connector 1,  the second hard drive on connector 2
and the DVD on three.  If I ever upgrade the power supply and video card
I will add a blue ray player and put it on connector 4.

in the Subject.