-=PCTechTalk=- Re: hardware configuration error on boot

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 23:57:25 -0400

Below

Peace,
Gman

http://www.thevenusproject.com/index.php

From: <recklessmaverick@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, August 11, 2009 10:46 AM
Subject: -=PCTechTalk=- hardware configuration error on boot

> Gman,
> I am beginning to think this may be a controller issue.  I have four
> SATA connectors on the mobo.  All a different color (are they color
> coded per industry standard?).  They are arranged like this:
>
> XX
> XX

No industry standard on color coding here.

> I assumed the primary set was  the two on the right.   The secondary set
> on the left.  As such:
>
> SP
> SP
>
> Is it likely the actual arrangement might be:
>
> PP
> SS

With SATA drives, there is no such thing as Primary or Secondary.  One SATA
controller handles each device connected to it separately.  Some boards have
two controllers (the second often has the ability to serve either in normal
or RAID configuration).

Instead, look for actual numbers silkscreened on the mobo to indicate
position.  They will most likely be labeled 1 to 4, but may also go by A -
D, 0 - 3 or something in Swahili.  The BIOS wishes to recognize them
individually in ascending order according to these numbers, although most
have the means to dictate one as the 'boot' drive over the others,
regardless of numerical position.

> OK.  I'm back.  The data connectors are numbered and colored as such:
>
> 2 white,  1 black
> 3 blue     4 yellow

Wow!  That was quick!  I prefer to connect my main boot drive to '1',
additional drives to '2', '3', etc., and then the optical last to '4' (or to
a separate controller altogether if one exists on the board).

in the Subject.