-=PCTechTalk=- Re: audacity question

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 18:10:45 -0400

Cristy,
    Without being able to hear it for myself, I'll only be guessing here.

    Listen to it with headphones and see if you can tell whether both
channels are running forward.  If you get the impression that one sounds
kinda 'backwards', it means the path of the physical tape material is not
where it's supposed to be, so the computer is getting part of one side of
the tape (coming through normally) and part of the other (playing in
reverse).

    Take a good look at the exposed part of the cassette and make sure the
two plastic rollers are not damaged or that the tape hasn't slipped off of
them.  Those rollers are what keeps the tape in the right place so that what
was recorded will travel across the Read heads at just the right place.  If
everything looks good, try ripping the tape again (maybe just a test rip to
see if the problem repeats, then a full rip if it doesn't).

Peace,
Gman