-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Turn Off Computer icon missing/Errata

  • From: dktrfaustus@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 12:28:06 +0100

On 15 Jun 2005 at 22:52, Bashfulbob wrote:
> Do you have a good book or two that you may recommend that instructs a
> person on the finer arts of using MS DOS and/or its commands?

PCTechTalk is all you need, Bob... <g>
I'm sure any of the folks here who bothered to learn it will be happy
to take a trip down memory lane and answer any questions on MS-DOS.
It's a bit like having a bunch of people around who all became fluent
in Latin!

Seriously, the books I remember are all long-gone, but generally,
anything by Que publishing is usually good, as are the Peter Norton
guides. And look out for books by Ziff-Davis, the publishers behind
PC Magazine. That particular magazine had some very creative and
advanced articles on MS-DOS, back in the day.
I learned all I needed to know in DOS using a cheap and cheerful
quick-reference guide to the commands. Anyone vaguely familiar with
PCs won't need anything more than that. These days, you'll be able to
find guides to MS-DOS commands scattered all over the web.

I would recommend using the help system which came with MS-DOS
versions 6.xx - 7.xx; search for HELP.COM. It has a command list
which explains each command and the applicable parameters. Most
importantly, it includes example of practical use. HELP.COM used to
be installed in the DOS folder for MS-DOS 6.xx, and it can be found
on the Windows CD in copies of Windows 95-98. A few years ago, I put
the necessary files in our YahooGroups Files section:

http://tinyurl.com/ac563

You need to be signed in to YahooGroups, and must be a member of the
PCTechTalk YahooGroup for the above link to work. To join:

Copy all the files (HELP.COM, HELP.HLP, QEDIT.COM and QEDIT.HLP) to
the Windows folder, or any other folder listed in your PATH, and then
you can type HELP from anywhere in DOS to start it up.

...and don't forget that a summarised help system is also available
on every command by using the "/?" switch.

Faustus