-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Trend Micro Slow Down

  • From: dswabc <dswabc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2007 19:27:31 -0700 (PDT)

It is always best to uninstall old antivirus
before installing new
antivirus.  The primary reasons for doing this
are:

1.  The scan engines may not like each other and
not work well together.
Imagine two different scanners trying to scan
incoming mail or downloads at
the same time.

2.  If scanner one catches a virus and puts it in
quarantine, when scanner
two finds it, it will report it as a virus even
though it has already been
quarantined by scanner one.

It is possible to have 2 different scanners
installed.  One set to do
automatic scans and protection.  A second one to
do manual scans only and
then delete (not just quarantine) anything it
finds.  Even done this way, it
may still be possible that two scanners will
refuse to live peacefully on
the same harddrive.

I recommend a total uninstall, including deleting
left behind folders and
shortcuts, and also a good cleaning of the
registry, before installing a
replacement security suite.

Don