-=PCTechTalk=- Re: System Restore

  • From: "Tech Rose - LoveBytes" <TechRose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 01:57:15 -0800

I echo the vote on Go Back.... Not only does it do as Joyce said, restore
the entire computer to a prior time, it also allows you to do one other
important thing.

Once your computer has been reverted to a previous time, it allows you to
get a file or files that will be deleted because of the reversion.  In other
words, say you had done a few letters and maybe updated a database, before
the problem which caused you to need to revert the computer occurred.

Now, a problem occurs and you revert the computer (Using Go Back) to a
previous time.  But, as you finish the reversion, you see a list of items
that have been reverted.  Oh no!  You had spent 3 hours on those
letters..and yikes!  You had created this wonderful data base of all your
baseball cards and now.. it will be all lost.  Nope... just select the files
you want to bring forward to the newly reverted computer and voila!  They
are there just like they should be.

If you KNOW the problem is only a system problem.. you could just do a
system restore.  That will ONLY effect system files..and not data
files...typically (unless you installed programs..and that could be an
issue)

So, have the tools at hand...think about what your problem is..and what
solution you want.. What is the end result you are looking for?  When you
know that...THEN is the time to push buttons and implement the decision.  Do
NOT start pushing buttons before then...  This is the voice of experience
talking.

Quick fingers have gotten me in trouble before.   I need to put brain in
gear before pushing buttons!  lol!

By the way, Go Back will allow you to Go Back and retrieve files you have
deleted or revised without reverting your whole system.  Say you have a
letter your wrote, then revised it and was good and saved it.  You open it
again in a few hours and see you had taken out a paragraph that is
important.  Instead of trying to recreate that paragraph, you can retrieve
the earlier version of the letter, open that, copy that paragraph and paste
it into the new letter.

Have Fun,
Rose
Las Vegas
From: "Joyce" <jmcclure@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2005 16:02:14 -0600

Thanks to all who have replied.  I feel better!  I would welcome further
comments and discussion though to provide clarification and maybe site some
instances whereby System Restore should not be used.
Another question.  I have Norton SystemWorks and just noted that I have Go
Back.  How is that different from System Restore?
Joyce