-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Suggestion on Dell freeze up

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 22:59:42 -0500

Hi Patricia,
There's not much info here to go on, but it sounds a heat issue to me.

If the system has been around for a while, it may be time to open up the
case and blow out some of the cruft & cobwebs that have accumulated inside.
If he's not familiar with the procedure (power off, touch nothing elecronic,
focus on fan blades and heatsinks, etc.), then I will suggest taking it to
an experienced mom & pop shop to have it cleaned out.

It could be the result of a fan that's underperforming (or on its way out
altogether).  Again, if he's not experienced with this kind of
troubleshooting, it should be taken in to be tested for this.

If its a much older machine, it could be that the thermal grease between the
CPU and heatsink has dried out and needs to be replaced.  This procedure
definitely requires someone with significant experience.  It could also be a
faulty power supply, bad power coming from the wall socket or any number of
other things too long to mention here.

Peace,
Gman

http://www.thevenusproject.com/index.php

"The entire future of humankind is yet to be written"