-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Startup Query

  • From: "Don" <dsw32952@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 19:26:20 -0400

The only time you need your internet secuurity software to load is when you
plan on being on the internet.

I would though, if I were you, also unplug the telephone line whenever the
software is not loaded.  I would do this to protect against an auto-dialer
that may have slipped past all of your security.

There is also a LOT of other stuff that loads that can also be disabled.  I
can't give a list because the list would depend on what version of Windows
you are using and what software you need to use.

There are several utilities that will help you identify programs that are
loaded at startup (not all are listed in TaskManager or msconfig).  Once
identified search google for the name or refer to sites, such as these, that
have compiled lists.

http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php
http://www.processlibrary.com/directory/a/

Don

P. S.  There are other ways of speeding up a computer.  Adding RAM is
probably the biggest bang for the buck.   If you are on a budget, call a few
local computer sales /service stores in your area asking for used RAM or
check the local classified ads and flea markets/yard sales.  Otherwise visit
www.crucial.com or other memory manufacturer website.  You may need to take
your computer or at least a stick of memory in to the shop for ID.   256 MB
will likely be the most significant improvement with 512MB adding not that
much more.... depending on your OS and software versions.  As old as you
suggest your computer is, I would not waste any money on any other upgrades
to try to get any speed increase.

---
Just back from a nice 2 week vacation.  Please bear with me as I catch up.