-=PCTechTalk=- Re: OT : Salt in the diet - And MUCH more!

  • From: "Al & Faythe" <rem41mag@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "pctechtalk" <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 22:47:50 -0600

if you cant buy fresh, and many of us cant...
I normally buy frozen. it actually has more nutrients in them than canned,
or what 'fresh' you may find in the grocery store, as they freeze the stuff
most of it anyway, right after harvesting in the fields.
I know some of the big farms around northern WI freeze the veggies right in
the fields, they pick, clean, wash & freeze right there.

no extra salt & tastes right off the vine.
tomatoes I did try freezing once a long time ago when we had a freezer & I
still could garden... I would blanch them to peel & store them in plastic
containers made for the freezer with head room, or even better in ziploc
bags & squeeze out the extra air. try to package them in meal size, like how
much you would use for a type of recipe.

I did hear that rinsing canned veggies does help with the salt content, but
not huge, and is also washes some of the nutrients too unfortunately.

I try to buy frozen veggies on sale & we keep what we can in our small
freezer over the frigerator.... and sometimes for a quick simple meal we
will cook up a bag of mixed veggies or which ever we may have a taste for &
just eat that. we dont have a big food budget left over after the bills are
paid, so that can be a meal and at least we get fiber & vitamins. we
sometimes add pasta or rice and a few spices too, that makes a nice meal.
not too much meat not normally in the house, but we do eat it if we have it.

I like that "the list for the hungry geek!" LOL

Faythe