-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Jo Ann's New system - Dept. of RAM

  • From: "GMan" <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 02:33:14 -0500

Good Morning, Jo Ann,       (assumption?        perhaps)

Ok, I just ran across an unbiased review of the board (AnandTech) and it is,
in fact, a known problem with the board's tightly set timings and not with
the RAM.  This issue affects more than just this particular board, too.
ASUS is currently working on an updated BIOS that corrects the problem.
This basically means there's nothing wrong with the OCZ we've been
discussing and, as I suspected, it comes down to the board makers trying to
be the best performers and setting their timings too tight.

Alright, as a result of the above revelation, we've now got to talk about
mainboard revisions.  When a mobo maker releases a board, it normally comes
with the first stable BIOS they designed for it already installed.  When
they update the BIOS, they make it available on the internet for owners of
that board to download and flash.  If they're still manufacturing that
board, they drop the original BIOS and use the newer one instead.  To
differentiate between the older and newer boards, they use a revision
number.  Subsequent BIOS updates will coincide with higher revision numbers
until they eventually stop producing that particular mainboard.  They may or
may not continue to produce newer BIOS updates once the board is no longer
manufactured.

Having said all that, you're going to want to buy this board with the new
BIOS already installed because there's no way for you to flash the BIOS
without having installed the RAM already.  It's one of those catch-22s
unless you get the newest revision.  Of course, this means you'll have to
hold off on the board until it's available with this new BIOS AND you'll
have to specifically ask for this revision, since stores online & off will
still have some of the older stock they're trying to unload.  This AnandTech
review I'm reading is dated Dec 22nd of 2006, so the new revision may
already be available.  I'll let you know what I find.

Peace,
GMan