-=PCTechTalk=- Re: JS Fortnight B Trojan

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2003 21:33:04 -0700

Hi Sharon,
I have it OE6.00.2800.1123
Check Windows Updates and see if there are any updates for your IE/OE6.
I think this site from Microsoft may explain it.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];291387

SEE ***** Below

OLEXP: Using Virus Protection Features in Outlook Express 6
Microsoft Outlook Express 6.0 for Windows XP
Microsoft Outlook Express 6.0 for Windows XP 64-Bit Edition
Microsoft Outlook Express 6.0 for Windows 2000
Microsoft Outlook Express 6.0 for Windows NT 4.0
Microsoft Outlook Express Version 6 for Windows Millenium Edition
Microsoft Outlook Express Version 6 for Windows 98 Second Edition
Microsoft Outlook Express 6.0 for Windows 98

For information about the differences between Microsoft Outlook and
Microsoft Outlook Express e-mail clients, click the following article number
to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
257824 OL2000: Differences Between Outlook and Outlook Express

SUMMARY
This article describes several new features included in Microsoft Outlook
Express 6 that are designed to protect you against viruses that may be
transmitted through e-mail messages.
MORE INFORMATION
Virus Protection features in Outlook Express 6 are found on Security tab of
the Tools, Options dialog box.
Using Internet Explorer Security Zone to Disable Active Content in Hypertext
Markup Language (HTML) E-mail
Security zones enable you to choose whether active content, such as ActiveX
Controls and scripts, can be run from inside HTML e-mail messages in Outlook
Express. By default, Outlook Express 6 uses the Restricted Zone instead of
the Internet Zone. Microsoft Outlook Express 5.0 and Microsoft Outlook
Express 5.5 used the Internet zone, which enable most active content to run.
To customize your Internet Explorer security zone settings for Outlook
Express:

CAUTION: Changing security zone settings can expose your computer to
potentially damaging code. Use caution when you change these settings.
Start Outlook Express, and then on the Tools menu, click Options.
Click the Security tab, and then click either Restricted Sites Zone or
Internet Zone (less secure, but more functional) in the Virus Protection
section under Select the Internet Explorer security zone to use.
Click OK to close the Options dialog box, and then quit Outlook Express.
Start Internet Explorer, click Internet Options on the Tools menu, and then
click Security.
Click Custom Level for the security zone that you selected in Outlook
Express. The security settings that you choose apply to Outlook Express as
well as Internet Explorer.

How to Read all Messages in Plain Text (Service Pack 1 Only)

Starting with Service Pack 1, you can configure Outlook Express to read all
e-mail in plain text format. Some HTML e-mail may not appear correctly in
plain text, but no active content in the e-mail is run when you enable this
setting. To read all messages as plain text in Outlook Express Service Pack
1:
Start Outlook Express, and then on the Tools menu, click Options.
Click the Read tab, and then click to select the Read all messages in plain
text check box under Reading Messages.
Click OK.
How To Prevent Programs From Sending E-mail Without Your Approval
If you configure Outlook Express as the default mail handler (or simple MAPI
client) on the General tab, Outlook Express processes requests by using
Simple MAPI calls. Some viruses can exploit this functionality and spread by
sending copies of e-mail messages that contain the virus to your contacts.
By default, Outlook Express 6 prevents e-mail messages from being sent
programmatically from Outlook Express without your knowledge by displaying a
dialog that enables you to send or not send the message. If you regularly
use an application that uses Simple MAPI calls to send e-mail as yourself,
you may want to disable this protection as follows:
Start Outlook Express, and then on the Tools menu, click Options.
Click the Security tab, and then click to remove the check mark from the
Warn me when other applications try to send mail as me check box.
Click OK to close the Options dialog box.
Using the Internet Explorer Unsafe File List to Filter E-mail Attachments
To use the Internet Explorer unsafe file list to filter e-mail attachments:
Start Outlook Express, and then on the Tools menu, click Options.
Click the Security tab, and then click to select the Do not allow
attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus check
box under Virus Protection.
This option is enabled by default in Outlook Express Service Pack 1 (SP1).
If you enable this option, Outlook Express uses the Internet Explorer 6
unsafe file list and the Confirm open after download setting in Folder
Options to determine whether a file is safe. Any e-mail attachment with a
file type reported as "unsafe" is blocked from being downloaded.

NOTE: The Internet Explorer 6 unsafe file list includes any file types that
may have script or code associated with them. To add additional file types
to be blocked or remove file types that should not be blocked:
Click Start, point to Settings (or click Control Panel), and then click
Control Panel (or switch to Classic View or View All Control Panel Options).
Double-click Folder Options.
On the File Types tab, click to select the file type that you want to block
or allow, and then click Advanced. If the file type you want to add is not
listed, perform the following steps:
Click New.
In the Create New Extension dialog box, type the file extension you want to
add to the unsafe file list.
Click OK, and then click Advanced.
Click to place a check mark (block) or remove the check mark (allow) from
the Confirm open after download check box.
NOTE: You cannot remove the check from Confirm open after download to allow
some file types. For example, .exe files are in the default unsafe file list
in Internet Explorer and cannot be allowed.
How to Determine When Outlook Express Has Blocked an Attachment
When Outlook Express blocks an attachment, the following alert is displayed
in the message alert bar at the top of the e-mail message:
Outlook Express removed access to the following unsafe attachments in your
mail: file_name1, file_name2, and so on.

http://www.mwn.ca/ UPDATED 05/06/03
See my Anti-Virus pages  UPDATED 05/06/03
<http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/mikes_virus_page.htm>
A Technical Support Alliance Charter Member

On 10/06/2003 at 7:16 AM Sharon wrote:

Hi all, I asked the original question, got lots of answers but am still
puzzled. Isn't it kind of wierd that some have the Tools .. Options...
Read... Plain Text Only... option in OE 6 and some don't? I don't. Version
6.00.2600.0000

Sharon