-=PCTechTalk=- Re: JS Fortnight B Trojan

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2003 19:40:04 -0700

Hi Rose,
Norton's probably caught it.

If i recall correctly it came from a scrip on a web page, or sig file.

The Critical update will prevent it from getting through, by fixing the
glitch in IE, if it is in place before the infection attempts to get you.

Use plain text, disable html in your email program, and on your groups
settings.

http://www.mwn.ca/ UPDATED 05/06/03
<mikeswhatsnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=3Dsubscribe>
See my Anti-Virus pages  UPDATED 05/06/03
<http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/mikes_virus_page.htm>
<virusinfo-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=3Dsubscribe>
A Technical Support Alliance Charter Member *********** REPLY SEPARATOR
***********

On 05/06/2003 at 6:53 PM TechRose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

As long as Norton caught this..I guess that is good.....
I do not know about the windows critical update today... my
(mis)understanding was that it was to prevent this type of trojan/worm...

Also, my understanding is if you did all the steps..which included the
Iframes and VM..that it would NOT get you...so I am stumped.....

But, maybe Norton caught it before it could try to get into your system and
have the windows critical update work.

In other words...norton caught it and quaranteend it before it was
unleashed.  Had it been unleashed..perhaps the Windows critical update from
today would have NOT allowed the JS FortnightB Trohan Horse do its work!

Bottom Line Pat...although I am still curious..I am thrilled to hear it was
caught!

Any thoughts from anyone on this....?????????????????????

hugs,
Rose
Las Vegas