-=PCTechTalk=- Re: IS THIS TRUE?

  • From: "Don101" <don101@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 12:17:22 -0400

Whether the incident quoted is true or not, I don't know.  However,
anybody sending notices, alerts, cautions and alarms with the CAPS
LOCK on is almost always one of the following:

a. Ignorant of common courtesy or just plain stupid
b. Trying to scare you
c. a scammer or con artist
d. Rude

That said, programs to wipe hard drives clean do indeed exist and can,
if improperly configured, wipe *everything* off a hard drive
including the operating system, partitions and formatting, thus
leaving the drive in a raw state like it was when fresh off the
assembly line.

Not all programs like this are configurable so it is critical that all
instructions and help files be read *before* use.  Many mount on an
external drive or a floppy and some will wipe clean every stitch of
hard drive space on a computer... not just drive c:.  Others can be
configured to a specific drive or partition or folder or file and the
number and type of overwrites done.

The rest of the quoted message has some truth and some hogwash in it.
The RECYCLER folders are visible but not accessible in Windows
Explorer.  The rest I'll leave for Gman to comment on.

Don